Script – Arranging PDF for booklet printing

Recently, I learnt to saddle stitch different pieces of paper together to form a pretty convincing booklet. The stitching method was suitable for making thin notebooks, but for thicker pads of paper, it protrudes out significantly, not ending up with a nice effect. This can be mitigated by stitching small sub-booklets together to form a whole book.

To print out the book for binding, it must first be rearranged. The function to add range to the printing range is added later on after the algorithm to add the page in order is implemented. This allows for the removal of the pages of the books that are unnecessary. The pyPdf module is used in this script to read and re-order the pages of the pdf file.


Script – Extracting data from app

While there are many online dictionary available, having a dictionary offline really helps when you are on-the-go, doing work where internet service is not readily available. While there are many free dictionary formats available, such as web1913 or the wordnet, provides much more well-rounded definitions gathered from different dictionaries.

However, there isn’t a download link readily available for’s database. However, they do offer an android app that has offline capabilities. Starting from there, I extracted the database file and after tinkering around for abit, I managed to extract the information into the StarDict format, which is pretty universal.

This scripting exercise helped me better understand how the unicode.encode and unicode.decode works, something that has baffled me for a really long time. Not to mention, the extra practise on using all the sqlite library.

Future addition to the .dict series might even include the CIA FactFile, I am planning to work on it soon, a readily available source of information about different countries.